Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tough Choices

How tough is it to go to friends' homes and eat healthy? Tough!! ... I have a group of friends who get together weekly to watch American Idol and we take turns cooking dinner. While they are all excellent cooks, there is very little emphasis on nutrition or reducing calories and/or fat! This is a situation that always challenges me ... while the food is always excellent and appealing, we usually eat later than I normally do, and it's usually a heavier meal than I prefer. This is where I struggle. It's a great lesson in moderation, a lesson which needs continual practice, at least for me! Last night's meal was caprese salad (tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar), french bread and 3 cheese tortellini in cream sauce with green peas, bacon and lots of freshly grated parmesan. YIKES!! I had more salad than entree and felt pretty satisfied with the portions I ate. While I understand that there are certain things we cannot control, like what someone serves you for dinner, I am learning the lesson that I can control how much of it I eat. That is a pretty empowering realization. And it puts the responsibility squarely on me - and that's the way it should be!
I had a message from my mother when I got home last night ... saying she heard from my older sister that I was discouraged about not losing any weight for the last 2 weeks. She was so positive and full of praise for the success that I have had so far, I felt silly for wasting time being blue. Onward and upward!!!

No comments: